Student Start-up & Innovation Policy.
Government of Gujarat has developed a policy for providing assistance to Start-ups/ Innovation. Under this scheme, any individual/ group of individuals having innovative idea/ Concept will be eligible and/ or Universities/ education institutions, Incubation Centre/ PSUs/ R&D Institutions/ Private and other establishments will be eligible as an institution to support and mentor to innovators as approved by Committee. Start-ups in an economy’s technology sectors is an important indicator of technological performance for several reasons.
With the primary objective to create an integrated, state-wide, university based innovation ecosystem to supports innovations and ideas of young students and provide a conductive environment for optimum harnessing of their creative pursuit the Government of Gujarat has pioneered to implement Student Start-up & Innovation Policy (SSIP).
As per the provisions of the policy, funding support has been provided for capacity building initiatives to be undertaken at universities, fund are also provided for sensitisation of students regarding innovation and entrepreneurship, prototyping of ideas and innovations, IPR and allied efforts.
- Funds up to Rs.25,000/- per event is provided for different workshops, events, conferences, training program related to SSIP.
- Funds up to Rs.25,000/- per national patent is provided.
- Funds upto Rs. 2,00, 000/- per project is provided for Proof of Concept (PoC)/Prototype.
- Fund is provided on shared basis (50% each) between Government of Gujarat and the Institute (Sigma Institute of Engineering).
SSIP CELL, SIGMA INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING
- MOU done on 06-07-2018.
- Doing activities like events related to SSIP awareness, capacity building, sensitisation of students, supporting projects at PoC/Prototype stage by funding and/or mentoring.
- Innovative projects are shortlisted every year from final year students and pre-final year students by scrutiny.
- Financial and/or mentoring support is provided to selected projects under SSIP.
- Support provided to individual projects to convert them into start-ups.
- 14 Projects are supported at Poc/Prototype stage in the year 2020-21.
- Over 5000 students were outreached and sensitised by different events and seminars in year 2020-21.
- 3 patents are filed/published during the year 2020-21.
- 37 events/webinars conducted as a capacity building program in year 2020-21.